Baby Farrell: Boy or Girl?

Originally written 8/5/2014

I so excited to finally share that Baby Farrell is...... A BOY!

I truly have never been so shocked in my life! I mean, I knew there was a 50/50 chance that it could be a little man, but I was convinced it was a girl. Like, 150% convinced. So when I saw our little picture that said, "IT'S A BOY!" with an arrow pointing to what is very clearly a PENIS...my mouth dropped. 


Let me start from the beginning. When we first found out we were pregnant, Bryan and I both made our declarations: He wanted a boy and I wanted a girl. Of course, it goes without saying (I'll say it anyway) that we would both be happy with either. I think for me, girls are all I know! I have two nieces and I just got my first nephew. I grew up with sisters and only a few male cousins. 


After our 8-week ultrasound, I convinced myself it was a boy. Partly because I thought it was and partly because I thought if I had this mentality, I wouldn't feel disappointed it was a girl. And then I found myself really wanting a boy! 

Then my friends and I did the Old Wives Tale of a "necklace test" where the necklace moves a certain way depending if it's a boy or girl. Both times I did it, it said girl. (It said boy for my friends who ended up having boys.) I know how silly it sounds, but the necklace test has seriously almost ALWAYS been right. That, plus I am carrying exactly the way my sister carried Sloan and have had pretty much the exact same pregnancy as her. So then, I got sad it was a girl as I had really loved the idea of having a boy.


So back into girl camp I went, going so far as to complete design a baby girl nursery (no purchases, just Pinterest boards). There was no question: We were having a little girl. (Bryan stood his ground that it was a boy.)

We went to our 20 week appointment, where most importantly, they take all of baby's measurements and make sure he is growing on track, which thankfully, our little man is. We told our technician that we wanted her to keep the gender a secret by putting it in an envelope for us. Bryan and I really just wanted to have a moment to ourselves when we found out and really be able to celebrate and be joyful together. Basically we wanted to be able to hug and kiss without having my big belly all gooey. Upon leaving our appointment, I said to Bryan, "I think I saw a penis and it's a boy," at the same time he said, "I think it's a girl."

We went to dinner, ordered some plates and just kept looking at each other and smiling. Bryan finally said, "I can't take it, open it." To Bryan's dismay, I wanted to videotape it since we didn't have anyone there to take photos, and we're both so glad we did. We ended up getting great photos from the video to share and the video is super fun to send people as a way to tell them the news. Those we've shared it with said, "it felt like we were there with you, we couldn't wait to see!"


My mouth dropped when I saw "BOY" circled in that note! Bryan's reaction was the best moment for me. He was the happiest I have ever seen him, aside from when we saw each other for the first time on our wedding day. He immediately got choked up and started chugging a beer so as not to cry. It melted my heart. Honestly, I wanted it to be boy for him and seeing his joy made me all the happier. Apparently, my reaction to big moments like this continues to be "Holy Shit." When Bryan proposed, I said Holy Shit. When we found out we were pregnant, I said Holy Shit. And when we found out about little man, guess what I said?

So there you have it! We are having a SON! I can't believe I'm going to be a boy mom! We'll be having the first grandson on my side of the family, which is such a fun thing for us to experience. We are revealing to our families this weekend and it's been so fun to have this be our little secret for a few days!

We know something you don't know!

I'll be sure to share the details of our families reactions after we reveal to them this weekend, and show you how we did it! Tell me BOY MOMS: Is it amazing?!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy Mom life is amazing!!! My son is 8 months old and I can already tell the different relationship he has with me and my hubs already!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you both! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy Moms are the best! Little boys just adore their Moms! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!