My First Mother's Day

Well, this Monday officially beat me. As much as I want to lay my head down and go to sleep right now, I need to recap the lovely Mother's Day weekend I had first!

Let's say the weekend started on Thursday night, because I went for girls night out to see one of my favorite musicians, Tyrone Wells, perform at a local venue here. The venue was super intimate, had great food and wine, but most importantly I had great company with my lady loves! We had a great time, and Liam and Bryan had "guys night."

Fridays are usually pretty low-key at our house - Bryan and I are tired after the work week, and Liam is worn out from "school." This one was no different. Liam and I hung out while Bryan was at a work event, and we were all asleep for the night by 10pm!

After a beautiful few days during the week, of course the weather on Saturday was horrible. Cold and rainy. We spent the morning hanging at home with Liam, and on Saturday afternoon, Liam and I went over to my best girlfriend's (sister's) house so he could meet her family! He also got to catch up with his buddy Harvey, who was born just one week after him. I love love love getting together with my friends' kiddos.


When I got home, I found my lovely husband cooking me dinner! We put Liam down and enjoyed a dinner of ribs, charred corn, sweet potatoes and garlic pretzel bread, while we drank while and watched The Wedding Ringer. We mainly rented it because our friend from high school, Dan Gill, was one of the groomsmen in the movie. It was funny, but we were happy to have waited to see it on RedBox.

Sunday morning, I got to sleep in (until 8:30am...what what!) and was served coffee in bed while I fed Liam. When I went out to the kitchen, I was greeted by flowers, mimosa fixin's and a sweet card from Liam. Of course I cried at "his" note.



 While Liam napped, Bryan and I sipped mimosas and got ready to go to brunch. 


After, we watched a movie (Wild) and we all took naps, then got up and went on a long walk. We ordered my favorite pizza (taco!) for dinner, and watched Sunday shows. And of course, we facetimed with our moms, too!

It may not sound like an exciting weekend or extra special, but I loved every moment. All I wanted was to spend time with my family, and everything else was extra.

It's super cliche, but quite honestly, the meaning of Mother's Day was completely changed for me this year now that I'm a mom. Of course I have always honored my mom, stepmom, mother-in-law, sister, etc on Mother's Day. But it's almost like becoming a mom makes you a part of a club. Growing up, my mom always told me that I'd never know how much she loves me. As I told her this Mother's Day, I finally think I get what she means by that. 

I feel so lucky every day that Liam is ours, and that I was chosen to be his mama. I never could have imagined how much I would love this new part of my life, but I do, so much. Being a mom is the hardest, best, most rewarding experience of my life, and I feel like it has given me new purpose.

Thank you to my husband for making me feel extra special and helping Liam with his gifts. And thank you to all of my friends who wished me a Happy First Mother's Day, as well as my family who showered me with the sweetest cards.

I hope all of you mamas, mamas-to-be, fur-mamas, step mamas, foster mamas, etc, felt the love and appreciation you deserve!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!