41 Things I've Learned About Being a Mom

In honor of Mother's Day on Sunday, I wanted to take some time to reflect on this new identity I have as a mama.

There's a saying, "You don't know what you don't know." And when you're expecting your first baby, there is A LOT you don't know.

In fact, I'd venture to say, you know nothing. You can ask friends and family, or Google to your heart's content to try and answer your many looming questions. But there is only so much you can learn before a baby arrives. And ultimately, you will never truly know anything until you become a parent.

Being Liam's mom has been so much more than I could have possibly dreamed. It has changed me in ways I couldn't have imagined. I've learned so much in the past 4 months, about myself; babies and children in general; about love.


  1. I've learned what all-consuming, true love feels like. It is different than the love you feel for your husband, or your sibling. It is indescribable.
  2. I've learned what it feels like to not get more than a few hours sleep in an entire week.
  3. I've learned that it's not about me anymore.
  4. I've learned that to be a good mother and a good wife at the same time is really frickin' hard. 
  5. I have not learned how to be both at all times.
  6. I've learned what to always include in my diaper bag.
  7. I've learned that I am semi-obsessed with my milk output when pumping.
  8. I've learned how to relinquish control. I re-learn this in new ways every day.
  9. I've learned to see humor in everything because if you don't, you won't survive parenthood.
  10. I've learned that watching a smile reach my baby's eyes turns my heart into mush.
  11. I've learned that seeing your husband as an amazing father deepens your love in an unimaginable way, and is sexier than even his tightest pair of jeans.
  12. I've learned to always point a baby boy's wiener down, lest you want to get sprayed in the face with urine or constantly have to change the baby's clothes.
  13. I've learned that it is IMPOSSIBLE not to kiss baby rolls and chubby cheeks less than 100 times per day.
  14. I've learned that onesies and jammies are the only thing a baby really wears the first few months.
  15. I've learned that there is such a thing as spending TOO MUCH MONEY on the baby.
  16. I've learned that most of the things I worried about prior to being a parent were silly. 
  17. I've learned a whole new appreciation for my own parents, especially when I think about the things I put them through.
  18. I've learned that a baby's coo, smile, squeal or grasp on your finger makes all of the hard moments instantly fade.
  19. I've learned grace.
  20. I've learned that it's possible to miss someone, even when they are in the same room.
  21. I've learned that a baby's laugh is the sweetest sound on Earth.
  22. I've learned how to not be so hard on myself.
  23. I've learned that there sometimes you need to turn off the faucet of information hidden all over the Internet and just go with your gut.
  24. I've learned that Mommy Guilt is a real thing, and it's the worst.
  25. I've learned that they weren't lying when they say that every baby, pediatrician, parent is different.
  26. I've learned that most of the time, there is no "right way" to do things. There is only what works for your family. 
  27. I've learned that I would literally lay down my life for my son.
  28. I've learned what true pride and joy feel like.
  29. I've learned that sucking your baby's boogers out of his nose with a Nose Frida is weirdly satisfying.
  30. I've learned a new meaning to the phrase, "Crying over spilled milk."
  31. I've learned that I can't do everything.
  32. I've learned that it's OK to want and take time to myself.
  33. I've learned that having a baby changes your marriage in ways you'd never think.
  34. I've learned that a sleeping baby is the most angelic, peaceful, idyllic sight you'll ever see.
  35. I've learned not to compare myself to other moms, and not to compare my baby to other babies.
  36. I've learned that Starbucks and wine are more amazing than I ever knew.
  37. I've learned that I had a lot more free time than I ever realized before having a baby.
  38. I've learned why people say their baby is XX weeks, instead of X months. Liam is 20 weeks old, by the way.
  39. I've learned that I am THAT mom who takes 100 photos of her child daily and posts them all over social media. 
  40. I've learned the meaning of "helicopter parent" and that I can be one, sometimes.
  41. I've learned that these things are only a fraction of what I will learn on this parenting journey.


I could go on, but clearly, there is some truth to the phrase, "You learn something new every day."

I think perhaps the most important thing I've learned is that I feel so lucky to have Liam and that he is mine. This Mother's day, my wish is that he feels the same way about having me as his mommy.


Happy Mother's Day everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!