5 Traits of 20something Women

Happy Hump Day! And for those of you stopping by from Nadine, welcome! I'm happy you're here, and I do hope you'll stay awhile.

I've been a little somber this week, and for good reason. But today I wanted to lighten things up.

A few weeks ago I found this amazing article on Buzzfeed that made me laugh for days. FOR DAYS, YA'LL. It was called "What It's Like To Be A Twentysomething, As Told By “Mean Girls,” “Bridesmaids,” And “Girls.” Genius, right?

It inspired me to do a little 20-something soul searching.


As a 20-something woman approaching 30, I've paused to reflect and draw some conclusions on being in our 20s that I think we can all agree on:

1. Being in your 20s is hard. The first glimpse of a hard-knock life ahead comes around 12. You're awkward looking, sprouting boobs and having your first period. Then, you're a teenager, suffering though high school. You could absolutely die because Ben didn't ask you to the dance, or that you didn't get invited to Suzy's party, or because you didn't start in the volleyball game. Before you know it, it's time for college, and life gets a little more real, but not too much. You stress about tests (that you'll soon realize don't matter), you drink every day of the week, you fall in love and get your heart broken — for real this time — you graduate, and then, and only then, does shit get real. Welcome to your 20s.
Exhibit A: Too cool for school.

2. 20somethings overexaggerate. Who, you?! Yes, you (and me). In our 20s, we're SOOO fat—which means we've gained a couple pounds. We're SOOO poor—which—wait, no, actually, we really are poor. We LOVE being single (nope). We're SOOO hungover, we're NEVER drinking again (until tomorrow night). You get the picture.

Exhibit B: Never drinking again.

3. 20somethings worry too much. About everything, really, but mostly about our bodies. We're constantly comparing ourselves to others. We focus on the fact that our thighs touch when they didn't before, or that we constantly have to hike up our jeans over our love handles. We master the "arm on hip" pose to make our arms look thinner. These are just a few of the things we obsess over about our bodies, and I can tell you from experience: it doesn't get easier. I think about my weight at least 10 times per day, no joke. I guess the moral is that we're all thinking it, but I don't know why, or how to stop.

Exhibit C: Arms out, collarbones in, ladies!

4. Relationships, dating and being single all suck in your 20s. I entered my 20s in a relationship. And now that I'm on my way out of my 20s, I am married to the same man I was in a relationship with when I entered this decade. But those years in between, I dated and I was single. Both sucked. Keep on keepin' on. You'll find your prince, I promise.

Exhibit D: The only time dating & relationships didn't suck.

These are just a few things we can surmise from this period of our lives, but I will say this: I've loved my 20s. Every anxiety-driven, unreasonably stressed out, overexaggerated, heartbroken, poor, fat, melodramatic moment of them. I'd go so far to say that my 20s, especially this back half, has been the time of my life.

Tell me about life in your 20s. Can you relate to any of this?

Linking up with Shanna for Random Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. Dropping by from Nadine, new follower. Love this post! I am turning 30 this year, I wonder what the 30's will bring. Hopefully it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog! Found it earlier from Nadine! The over exaggerating part is SOOO me. (see? ha) I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your blog on Nadine's. :) I love this post! They're all SO true, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG yes! I agree with all of this! You described exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy vey. I'm halfway through my 20's and I love/hate them. Love reaching so many new milestones--career, more financial stability, getting taken (semi)seriously in the world, etc. Hate the pressure to reach certain other milestones--friends are getting engaged, buying houses, having kids, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this post.. I am also in my 20s, approaching the latter part (turning 27 this year!). And while these are funny, it is also kinda true. I think we all go through this phase, especially the part about relationships and worrying too much. When you get older, like myself (haha), you realize that you just have to relax. It's not as dramatic as most make it seem. I can't wait to be 30, but the 20s were some of the best years of my life!

    If you have a sec, hope you can check out the latest on my blog: http://fashchronicles.blogspot.com. If you want to, would you like to follow each other via GFC? Just give me a heads up dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower here! Love this post. I am on my last year of my 20s, and I will definitely be mourning the passing of my youth next year. Whomp, whomp.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!