Was the Psychic Right About Baby Farrell?

If you're new here, or just don't remember, when I was pregnant, I had a psychic reading done to shed some light on labor, our baby's personality and any obstacles we might face as new parents. I thought it'd be fun to go back and see if she was right about anything.

I do believe in this type of stuff, but looking back on some of her answers, I can admit that she probably gave me a canned answer. Some of the stuff though, I think is spot on. Again, that doesn't mean she's "real," but it is kind of fun to think about:

What kind of personality will our baby boy have?
What the psychic said: He looks like a little leader, that’s for sure. The baby is a perfect combination of the two of you, but very different. This is an independent child. He’s not going to be super clingy, like “Mommy, mommy.” A lot of times, people with this yellow aura, they’re very logical and they over-think things. This child is not going to be one to just sit in the corner. He'll be the one telling everyone to follow him around the playground. You’re not going to have to worry about him; he’s very strong. He's not going to be the kind of kid who gets picked on, he’ll be able to handle himself.

I see someone who might bottle up his feelings, so you might have to coerce him to talk about stuff sometimes. He’s very strong willed and his strength isn't with intuition and sensitivities, he’s more logical and science-brained. He'll probably do really good in science and math.

I see is someone who’s really funny, charismatic and persuasive. He’ll be kind of like the life of the party, cracking jokes and being funny.

Truth:  Liam actually means strong-willed warrior, so when she said this about him when he was in utero, I got a kick out of it. (I didn't tell her what we were naming him.) Some of this stuff with his personality we won't see until later in his life, but I'll tell you what: Liam is the life of our party! He is funny, charismatic and as persuasive as a 3-month-old can be, haha. We can already see that is independent, as he is content to play on his own and doesn't demand to be held all the time, but he has his days. Overall, I think this one will be interesting to come back to after his personality has developed even more.

Will I have the baby early or late?
What the psychic said: I actually think you might be a little early! You'll be pretty close to the due date, about 2.5 days early. I’d say around December 16 your little guy will be born.

Truth: I was indeed a little early. I was due on December 19 and he joined us on December 18.

How long will I be in labor?
What the psychic said: Looks like about 14 hours, which is kind of long, but actually pretty average for a first child. I think it will be a full two hours of pushing, almost 2.5 hours. I don't see you needing pitocin or anything to progress your labor. He will be around 7 pounds. I don’t see anything weird happening where you’ll have to have a C-section.

Truth: She was pretty accurate with this one. From the time active labor started til I delivered, was about 13 hours. Liam was born at 7:25am, after 2.5 hours of pushing, and weighed 7lbs, 1oz.

Will I be able to breastfeed easily?
What the psychic said: It will be a struggle at first. I’m getting that it will be fine, but it’s not a strong yes. It's going to take some time for him to figure out how to latch on.

Truth: The only struggle we had was that I couldn't do it right away, since Liam was in the NICU and couldn't have anything except sugar water at the beginning. I pumped for the first few days to help my milk come in and store some for him to have, and I started nursing him after a couple of days. It came really naturally to both of us, thankfully!

Will he be a good sleeper?
What the psychic said: I don’t think he’s going to be that great of a sleeper. It’s barely a yes, so it might be a challenge for you. The sleeping patterns will be challenging, so you might have to pull out some tricks to get him to sleep. He’s got this personality where he doesn't want to miss out on anything. He’s very aware and observant and he wants to see what’s going on, so he won't want to sleep. He’s just an active baby.

Truth: Liam is absolutely aware, observant and active. I've said from the get-go that he was never the sleepy newborn; he has been alert from day one. Sleeping was a struggle for a few weeks, but once we started establishing good sleep habits, he has been awesome. He takes 3-4 naps a day, two of which are usually 2 hours, the others maybe 30 minutes to an hour. He gave us good stretches of sleep in the early days, 3-4 hours at times, and now will give us 6-8 hour stretches. Just last night he slept 10.5 hours IN HIS CRIB. A miracle!

What will our family dynamic be like?
What the psychic said: He takes after mommy more than daddy from what I can see. He’s very strong willed, he’s not going to be super easy-going like Dad. You and the baby might butt heads sometimes, because you’re both very strong willed. Bryan will calm both of you down. Bryan is more laid back, so he’ll help calm this child down, they’ll be very good for each other. Very balancing.

You’re going to be a little bit of a worrier and your husband is going to be super chill. He’s super thoughtful and he’ll be a very attentive dad, but he’s way more laid back than you. You tend to obsess, so it’s hard for you be laid back because you worry. Bryan is going to calm both of you guys down. He’s the calming, grounding energy in your family.

Truth: Yes, yes and yes. I am definitely a worry wart with Liam and Bryan is definitely more "whatever" (in a loving and caring way, of course!). Liam is strong-willed, but we don't butt heads yet :). Bryan has calmed me down every day since Liam was born and he is great at soothing our little man!

How will his health be?
What the psychic said: Good and normal. No allergies or weird tendencies.

Truth: Aside from early issues in the NICU, Liam has been in perfect health, thank goodness.

Will I struggle with Post-Partum Depression?
What the psychic said: You’re going to have a lack of sleep, but I don’t see depression being the case with you.

Truth: Right on. Everyone has a lack of sleep and the effect it has on you can often be misconstrued as PP, but I never struggled with that. Definitely had Baby Blues for a while, though. 

How will I be as a mom?
What the psychic said: Oh, you’re gonna be an awesome mom. You’re very nurturing. I can see in your aura, you've got a lot of green, so you’re very grounded and very reliable – you've got great Mama Bear energy. I think you’re going to love being a mom. You’re kind of like a healer. You’re here to help people and serve people. You’re going to be a natural mom, seriously.

You love helping people, so it’s going to give you a lot of purpose in your life. You’re a good judge of people, like you can go in a room and think, 'I’m not sure about that person' and you’re usually right. You can read people really well. This kid isn't going to be able to pull crap on you. You’re like the mom that kids are like, “How does she know what I’m up to?” You’re going to be really good in that way. You're very in tune and you have a strong mama’s intuition.

Truth: Not to toot my own but, TOOT TOOT! (Just kidding.) I'd like to think I'm a good mommy. Lord knows I love being a mom and doting on my son. It has most definitely given me a new purpose in life.


How will having a baby affect our marriage?
What the psychic said: You give your partner a lot of inner strength and confidence. You really balance each other well, you’re perfect for each other. So it’s good you’re having a baby together.

Having a baby will bring you closer together. Sleeping is going to be hard for you guys for a little while, but this baby is going to be the glue between you guys. I don’t see any issues there.

Truth: Having a baby is hard on a marriage at first, in my opinion. I'll save that for a later post, but it is definitely an adjustment to any relationship - that was probably the one thing I was least prepared for. We have definitely grown closer through having Liam, and while it's a challenge to find a new "normal" that is fair and balanced for everyone, I think we've done a good job of that so far.

Are we going to have any more children? 
What the psychic said: I see another one. I’m getting the number two. It looks like they’re going to be about three years apart. A boy and a girl!

Truth: Right again - I'm pregnant! (JUST KIDDING. April Fools, remember? OMG...too soon to even joke about.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!