First World Problems

Oh hey, ya'll. Happy Hump Day :)

Changing things up tonight. The other day, I read a really great post about perspective by Erin, and it got me thinking.

I try to keep it pretty light here, but the truth is, I've got some deep thoughts swirling around in this head. More than that, there is some heavy stuff going on outside of my head, too. As in real life. Unfortunately, it's these types of situations that make me realize how lucky I am, how many blessing and opportunities I'm given every day. But why does it take something terrible happening to someone else to make us realize what we've been given?

It's all about perspective. It's so easy to go through life stressed out or worried about something, anything, big or small. I know because I do it all the time. Ask my husband--I can find a reason to stress out about anything.

The same goes with complaining. How often do you complain about something that many people would consider a blessing? Take me, for example. I will admit that I complained and pouted nearly every day leading up to my birthday about having to the Tough Mudder in Seattle. I pouted because no one wanted to drink on my actual birthday because we had the race the next morning. Why wasn't I thankful that I was going on a weekend getaway with my friends? Why wasn't I grateful for the good friends we were going to go see and celebrate with? Why wasn't I more appreciative that I'm healthy and strong enough to complete such a challenging race?

There are people out there who have it so, so much worse than me. Or you.

We complain about our weight. Think about all the people in the world who are starving.
We complain about work - having to go, hating what we do, or being too busy. At least you have a job.
We gripe about not having enough money. At least you earn enough--even if it's just enough--to have a roof over your head, put food in your mouth and enjoy yourself a little bit.
Fighting with your parents? I bet those who have lost a parent would kill to fight their mom and dad.
Too many places to go, people to see, things to do? Sure beats sitting on your ass, having no one in your life and zero opportunity.
Can't decide what to wear? How lucky you are to have all those clothes!
Sick of traveling? Be grateful for the opportunity to get out of your world and see new places, experience new things. To see part of the world, even if it's in small town Iowa.

These are what I call "first world problems."

Now, don't get me wrong. Some people have real stress and real problems. The other day, a close family friend was diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. Last month, I witnessed a man die in a car crash. He had a car seat in the back of his car. I have friends who've had miscarriages, who have buried their parents, who have lost their jobs. Those are problems. Yet I don't hear them complaining.

One of my strongest convictions is never to judge someone because you don't know what they're going through. That you really should think about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. And that things can always, always be worse.

Be kind. Be grateful. Be appreciative. Recognize blessings.

What are you thankful for today?

3 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for your post. What a great reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    Thank you for this honest and REAL reminder. Sometimes we just need to sit back and be thankful for all of God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kasey! Nice to see a new face here. Come back again :)

      Delete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!