Halloween Nostalgia

Happy Friday! I've officially worked for two weeks at my new job, and the good news is, I'm loving it! I got put on a huge project right away, so I've been busy already (hence the lack of posting), but I'd rather be busy than bored.

In any case, today marks the beginning of my favorite time of year: HOLIDAY SEASON! Starting of course, with Halloween weekend, followed shortly by Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I love Halloween. I've always loved celebrating it, and the ways in which I've done so have evolved over the years, to say the least.

When I was younger, every year I would look forward to going to see "The Costume Lady" with my mom and sisters. "The Costume Lady," whom I'm sure had a name, but this is how we referred to her, was a woman who had hundreds of handmade costumes that she sold out of her garage. If we didn't get costumes from her, my mom made our costumes.

And I must say, we had some kick-ass costumes. One year, I was a 50s girl, and I wore patent leather shoes, white socks, a white turtleneck and a handmade pink poodle skirt that twirled in the most amazing way!

Another year, I was a beauty shop technician. I wore a wig with curlers, a lab coat that had scissors, hair clips, a curling iron, etc that I carried in my pockets.

One of my favorite costumes was a Hershey Kiss outfit that my mom made. It was silver sparkly fabric stuffed with newspaper, and had leg and arm holes. I wore white tights and a white turtlneck underneath, and my mom made a hat shaped like the top of a Hershey Kiss, complete with the long white tag on the end.

As I got older, of course I went through a phase of dressing "sexy" for Halloween, mostly during college.

And even post-college, my hubby and I have always dressed up and gone out to celebrate. One year, I was a "Deal or No Deal" girl with two of my girlfriends.

There was the year a group of us went as Dominos (VERY HARD TO NAVIGATE THE BUSY BARS).

I went as Lindsay Lohan went she first went cray-cray and was out house arrest. I was also Rosie the Riveter.


A couple of years ago, I was part of the Brookie & Brookie & Ricky V.I.Penis skit from SNL (Thanks, Champagne!).


Last year, I was pregnant, so instead of dressing up, I took my niece trick or treating. And of course, this year, I'm a PARENT! And so the Halloween game changes again.

So this year, I'm being a mom. We're taking Liam trick or treating in the suburbs with my best friend and her son.

BUT we will be drinking while trick or treating, and drinking after they go to bed SOOO...I'm still kinda being cool.

At least that's what I tell myself.

In all honestly, while we do have parties we could attend after Liam goes to bed, it's pretty much impossible to find a babysitter on Halloween weekend. That, and we just didn't want to this year. We want to embrace special times like this now that we have a child. Even though he will not remember his first Halloween, and even though the candy he gets will be consumed by his parents, it's still all about creating traditions and memories, much like the ones I had growing up.

Stay tuned for pics of our little monkey!!

I hope everyone has a safe, warm, happy Halloween, whatever you're doing!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure I got all of you and js costumes second hand as I was all of those things too. However I stopped liking Halloween after my pumpkin incident so.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!