If You Really Knew Me...

Happy Tuesday!

I for one, am EXTREMELY happy it's Tuesday because we leave for vacation tomorrow.  Headed up to one of my favorite places on Earth: Lake Okoboji. I'm so ready for five days of R&R with my husband and family, complete with lakes and sunshine. (And debauchery on the boat, of course.) To quote my husband, we are going to "drink the shit out of some weed and waters."

Got today's blog idea from my co-worker, Mary, over at A Little Bit of Class, A Little Bit of Sass. Mary has been a great resource as I try to ramp up my blog. She introduced me to a gal who is helping me revamp this site and get it all optimized with my social media pages, etc. Look for some big changes coming soon!

Without further adieu, let's get personal.

If you really knew me...

...you'd know that growing up, I dabbled in everything. I played the cello and clarinet, was in choir, dance and gymnastics. I played volleyball, softball and basketball. I was a killer pitcher, if I do say so myself, and I quit basketball senior year of high school to do cheer leading.

...you'd know I published my first book when I was in 2nd grade. It was called "How the Fox Got It's Tail." You'd also know that I published my second book when I was 25. I was the co-author on a book called "Career Building: Your Total Handbook for Finding a Job and Making it Work."

...you'd know that I'm terrified of heights. As in, I went repelling once and cried the whole time. As in, my knees get weak just looking over the edge of a tall building, no matter how high the railing. My second fear is death, both my own and my loved ones.

...you'd know that I'm a fat person trapped inside a not-as-fat-as-I-should-be-but-still-sort-of-chubby body. I'm always hungry (ask my husband). While I generally eat healthy, if I could live on pizza, tacos, candy and buffalo wings for the rest of my life with no repercussions, I would.

...you'd know that although writing is my greatest passion, it's also my greatest insecurity. What do you do if you're bad at the one thing you love the most?

...you'd know that, much to my husband's chagrin, as soon as I'm done having babies, I'm getting my boobs done. Reduced and lifted, thank you very much.

...you'd know that I can't watch other people spit their toothpaste in the sink when they're done brushing. It's disgusting.

...you'd know that I've had a series of strange health issues, one of which almost killed me. One included seizures, blood infections and encephalitis, which lead to a coma. The other included a blood clot, which was caused by an extra rib I had under my clavicle, which was surgically removed.

...you'd know that once, when I was in elementary school, I left an obscene message for my dentist. I was being harassed by a kid at school, and I hadn't told anyone, so I picked a number from the "Emergency List" on the fridge, and repeated everything this boy had ever told me. My mother was horrified. More horrified than when she got a different from phone call from the same dentist, letting her know that I had gotten my tongue stuck to the bumper of their car. I was trying to lick snow off. I'm awesome.

...you'd know that I went to the University of Kansas and it was, to date, one of the top 10 best decisions I've ever made. I barely knew a soul, but made some of my best girl friends in the sorority I joined, Kappa Alpha Theta. My memories from college make my heart happy to think about.

...speaking of friends, you'd know that I have the best in the world. No seriously — my friends are better than your friends. My core group of girls are friends from elementary, junior high, high school and college. All of us are from Iowa City, and have grown up together in one way or another. We've seen each other through the hardest moments, as well as the happiest. I am so grateful for each of them every day.

...you'd know that I have approximately 0 hidden talents. Damnit.

...you'd know that my husband and I met in high school. We were in the same class and got to know each other when he got suspended from school after stealing me a bottle of vodka and showing up to the dance intoxicated. I gave him his homework for the week. He told me I was the one approximately 2 hours after our first date. He writes me loves letters. I love him.

...you'd know that I lived in Spain for 5 months in college. This experience is also on my "top 10 best choices" hit list. I saw things, visited places and met people I never would have otherwise. I learned so much about myself in that time and learned some hard lessons, but all of them have shaped me for the better.

...you'd know that in addition to fantastic friends, I have an amazing family. I have two sisters, who are my best friends. Though my parents are divorced, I'm fortunate that they get along better than they did when they were married. My dad's new marriage has brought me a step-mom and two step-brothers. (One of whom is also my brother-in-law. Still saving that for another blog.) I have two adorable nieces, Sloan & Aly, whom I love like my own. You know those people who hate their in-laws? I'm not one of them. My mother, father and sister-in law are all amazing and I feel so lucky to have them in my life.

That's enough for now, but there are more gems like this to come! See you after vacation :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I love knowing all of these facts about you! You crack me up! Thanks for the shoutout and have an amazing vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!