Am I Crazy?

Don't answer that.

I've done something stupid. (Again.) I signed up to participate in a Tough Mudder. Not sure what that is? Read on, you blissfully ignorant reader.

Let's start from the beginning. Earlier this summer, the husband mentioned that he wanted to run this race in Seattle on September 29. If that doesn't mean anything to you, just know that my birthday is September 28. I am a big a birthday person. So naturally, I was opposed to this idea, as I wanted to celebrate my birthday with him, here in Chicago — not ringing in 29 with a near-death experience. Next thing I know, I get an email with his confirmed registration with a note from him that says "spectator tickets are available."

Thanks, honey.

I'll spare you the saga of the many conversations we've had since then. Aside from the whole, 'It's my birthday!' thing, I told husband that I didn't want to look like the only a*hole (read, wimp) not participating. He assured that me that of our couple friends who would be there, I would not be the only one not doing it. So I got over it (a little bit) and had basically decided I'd go for the weekend to hang out with everyone. Until the other day, I see that the one gal I had been counting on hanging out with, Beth, signed up. TRAITOR! So, here I am.

I know you might be thinking I had a choice in this matter. Sure, I made this "choice." But this was not a real choice, people: I was peer pressured and I am not happy about.

Sorry if 12 miles and 25 obstacles does not sound like my idea of a good time. Sorry if I'd rather celebrate my birthday sucking down champagne instead of mud.

So, what exactly is a tough mudder, you ask? The web site says "Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie."

Cool.

I got an email today telling me to "Get pumped and check out the Artic Enema Obstacle Video!" It's descriptor is as follows:
  
"Many athletes use ice baths for recovery, but you'll have a difficult time relaxing your muscles in this frigid dumpster. First you must bravely jump into Big Mudder's floating iceberg abyss. Once submerged, find the mental and physical strength to swim through the ice, under a wooden plank and pull yourself out on the other end before you become hypothermic." 

I'm sorry. Could you repeat that?



How about some 'Electroshock therapy'? No? Not interested? Me either.

"Sprint through a field of live wires — some carrying as much as 10,000 volts of electric shock. Watch out for hay bales and deep mud, or you will face-plant into some electrifying mud. Some Mudders try to stealthily wind their way through the wires without getting shocked, while others barrel forward to get through as quickly as possible."



Anyone feel like burning to death in the "Fire Walker" obstacle? Better freshen' up on my "stop, drop and roll" skills.

"You’ll be running through a trench of blazing, kerosene-soaked straw. You can expect flames at least 4 feet tall." 

Source: ToughMudder.com


What do you guys think? Can I do it? Have YOU done it? Got any tips?

 

3 comments:

  1. Told you not to do it! Like I said, I'd rather give up one of my legs than do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you know I was going to do this too before I decided to sit around on my lazy ass all summer instead of train. In terms of training I know you need to be practicing hills and not only running on concrete but trails. Also...its been advised to wear gloves. Brandon Pratt did one...contact him! Either way, I am proud of you! You will do great :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!