Monday, April 28, 2014

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Welp, it's Monday...again. I feel like it's always Monday, don't you? I woke up today feeling particularly crappy and continued to feel as such all day. As soon as I hit "publish" on this post, I'm turning in. 

Good news is that I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow since I have a doctor's appointment in the morning. Finally getting that finger x-rayed that I injured back in March. Don't think I ever told ya'll about that, but long story short - I did a cartwheel while intoxicated and nothing has been right in my pointer finger since.

Anyway, it sucked waking up feeling like shit after such a lovely weekend with my mama and her man friend were in town visiting. Since I don't live in the same city as my family, it's easy to forget how good it feels to spend quality time with your mom. I do go home a lot, but my visits are usually spread thin across three sets of parents, friends, nieces, etc. Suffice it to say, the visit was good for my soul.

We kept ourselves busy! Friday night, we went to see the cast of Nashville in concert. They kicked off their tour here in Chicago and it was AMAZING. I must admit I was a little starstuck seeing these actors/actresses on stage. It's different than seeing a regular musician in concert because these people are on your TV every week, playing a character and then they are right in front of you! In any case, it was awesome and we even got to shake hands with them on their way out. 




Saturday I was up early to take care of a few errands before we headed up to grab lunch at Hamburger Mary's. I'd never been there before, but I knew that it would be right up my mom's alley. Not only is her name Mary, but the atmosphere is super kitschy and kind of retro and chaotic, all of which my mom loves.



After lunch, we dropped my mom off to get her hair did, while the rest of us went home to nap. Except Dave - he went bar hopping, good man. Then it was off to dinner at one of our favorite seafood joint's, Glenn's Diner, so mom and I could satisfy our crab leg cravings. 

And to cap off the evening, we went to the late showing of the Second City. This was the only time I've been to Second City and been disappointed. I laughed at some spots, but in my opinion, the best part was the encore act they did, which was mostly improv. The show didn't get out until after 2am, so we didn't get to bed until about 3am.

Sunday, we did what Sundays are made for and slept in! Then we went to a nice brunch and went to Trader Joe's so mom could stock up on her favorite wines before they left. 

And you can bet the rest of the day I spent in bed, dozing and cuddling with ms. Addy. Successful Sunday.

That sums it up. Love you, Mama, and thanks for the visit. How was everyone else's weekend?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you saw the cast of Nashville! Did they sound just as good in person??

    Also, I must try Hamburger Mary's!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!