Monday, December 9, 2013

Weekend Update: The Kirks Come to Chicago

Well, it's officially been a week since I've been back in the US of A, so my excuses for lack of blogging are pretty much out the window.

I'll kick off my return to blog land with a traditional weekend recap because it was a great one! We shipped Addy off to Iowa to stay with my Dad and stepmom while we were in Europe. What we lacked was a plan to get her home. My sister and brother-in-law were kind enough to offer to bring her back to us and make a weekend out of it with my niece! Win-win for me, especially since I've been harassing them about coming to visit since forever.
Sloan and Addy sleeping in the car

It's funny how plans change so much when there's a 2-year-old in the picture. For example, the last time these two came to visit last summer, my brother-in-law ended up projectile vomiting crab as a result of about 18 hours of drinking. Needless to say, such was not the case this trip.

Bryan had his holiday party on Friday night (no spouses allowed), so I offered to babysit Sloan so my sis and her hubby could have a fun date night out in the city.
Jess and Klint, all ready for date night!

Sloan and I baked cookies, pumpkin bread and we put together a gingerbread house! Sloan had a blast sitting on the counter, "swimming" on the ottoman during breaks, frosting the roof and eating half the ingredients before we could put them on. 

It was a hit, however, and Sloan showed off her "ginger house" all weekend. I had a blast and loved our one-on-one time.
Saturday we spent the morning and first part of the afternoon at the aquarium. Sloan was mesmerized by "the fishies." 
Mesmerized by jellies.

The tickets we bought included seeing an aquatic show (dolphin/whale/penguin shows). Despite a singing trio, a visit from Santa Claus and some amazing tricks by the animals, Sloan had more fun dancing to the music than watching the actual show. The adults enjoyed it though!
Who's more excited?

It was naptime for Sloan, so while she slept, the four of cracked some beers and watched football for a few hours while Sloan got her beauty sleep. When she was up, it was off to the Lincoln Park Zoo Lights, one of my favorite holiday activities in the city.

The entire zoo is lit up in lights, there's synchronized light shows to music, crafts inside the exhibits, and perhaps the best part: Warm spiced wine. Which we needed, given that it was about 5 degrees outside. 
We spent a few hours walking around, seeing monkeys, an angry lion and of course, Santa. Sloan was a trooper and was content with her hot chocolate. AND she got to visit Santa!

After we couldn't take any more cold, it was off to get dinner - pizza! After all, what's a visit to Chicago without pizza? A few beers and two 'zas later, it was home to sit in front of the fire - and promptly fall asleep.

And today? Well, let's just say I'ce been awake for 12 hours and the most productive thing I've done is walk to Starbucks around 10:30am. It was the first snow today, so I hunkered down and watched football and finally caught up on TV from when we were gone. Currently I'm drinking wine in front of yet another fire and we just ate some Chinese. Life is good.

All in all, a wonderful weekend of precious one-on-one with my family, which I always love. Now we just need to get through 2 more weeks of work and it's Christmas! How was your weekend?

 Mingle 240

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice weekend. Excited to hear about your trip.

    I went back and read the post from their last visit and I have no words. Crazy. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! Love the "Ginger House'! LOL. I remember making those as a kid <3

    BTW, im hosting a "Tell All Tuesdays" Blog Hop with Fitness Blondie. Join us :)

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete

Your comments & feedback make my day, so please let me know what you've got to say!